Professor at the College of Europe (Bruges).
Government Commissioner (since 1987) for the Universities in the Flemish Community of Belgium.
University Institute Antwerp, Licentiate in Law, 1976.
Catholic University Leuven, Licentiate in Canon Law, 1979.
Catholic University Leuven, PhD, 1984, "The Right to and the Freedom of Education. The regime of free choice of denominational and non-denominational schools", 1983-1984, 4 volumes, 1384 pp.
Office Phone: +32 (0)3/238.11.55
Jan De Groof is professor at the College of Europe (Bruges) and chairman of the European Association for Education Law and Policy and was professor and visiting professor at Belgian, European, American and South African universities. He was appointed in 1987 Government Commissioner at the University of Antwerp and the Limburg University Centre and Chief of the Cabinet of the Flemish Minister of Education (1985-1988).
Jan De Groof was the Belgian representative (1989-1995) on the Board of Directors for the "Centre for Educational Research and Innovation" (C.E.R.I.) of the O.E.C.D, national co-ordinator of the O.E.C.D. project "International Indicators and Evaluation of Educational Systems" (I.N.E.S.) (1990-1995), chairman of the Flemish interdisciplinary academic I.N.E.S. group (until 1996) and chairman of the Belgian division of the "International Movement towards Educational Change" (IMTEC) (1988 - 1994).
He was a Member of the Management Committee of the "Legislative reform in higher education" project of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg (1992-1998) and conducted short-term advisory commissions (since 1993) at the request of and/or in collaboration with the competent Ministers and conference of Rectors on behalf of the World Bank, the Council of Europe, the OECD and the European Union, in the Ukraine, Slovakia, Russia, Uzbekistan and Kirghizia. He was assigned in 1999 with the High Commissioner for Minorities Max Van der Stoel (OSCE) with regard to diplomatic commissions concerning national minorities in Romania, Hungary, Albania and Macedonia.
He has served as a consultant to the Russian and South African education authorities.
Courses of Instruction:
Education Law, Public Law, European Law
Jan De Groof is founder and editor in chief of the "European Journal of Education Law and Policy" (E.J.E.L.P.). He is author of a number of books, articles, book chapters and monographs on issues in education law.
He published in 2002, with Professor Charles Glenn, "Finding the Right Balance: Freedom, Autonomy and Accountability in Education," a two-volume study of the arrangements in 26 countries for balancing educational freedom with common standards and accountability, pupil and teacher rights with the integrity of the school's mission.
Current Professional Activities:
- Professor at the College of Europe (Bruges).
- Government Commissioner at the University of Antwerp and the Limburg University Centre.
- Chairman of the International Research Committee of Legal Experts which has been advising the Russian Government about the drafting of legislation with regard to education for the Russian Federation.
- Chairman of the "European Association for Education Law and Policy".
- Chairman of the editing board of the series "Legislating for Higher Education in Europe" of the Council of Europe, Strasbourg (since 1993).
- Editor in chief of the "European Journal of Education Law and Policy" (E.J.E.L.P.).
- Editor in chief of the "Tijdschrift voor Onderwijsrecht en Onderwijsbeleid" (T.O.R.B.) [Journal for Education Law and Policy].